“The last two years have been an absolute nightmare of supply chain disruptions, one after another, and we’re still not out of it,” Tesla CEO Elon Musk said.
Patrick T. Fallon | Reuters
Elon Musk is asking for time to prepare for a trial over his disputed withdrawal from a deal to buy Twitter for $44 billion, according to a filing in Delaware Chancery Court by his lawyers on Friday.
Musk’s team says the trial must wait until next year after Twitter requested expedited treatment and a hearing back in September.
In their filing, opposing a request earlier filed by Twitter, Musk’s lawyers said the company made “a sudden request for warp speed after two months of procrastination and confusion” and said it was “the latest tactic on Twitter for covering up the truth about spam accounts.”
An expedited hearing, Musk’s side says, would be a dishonest tactic and a way to cover up the extent of the platform’s problems with fake accounts. Earlier this week, Twitter sued Musk, alleging that the Tesla CEO made a bad faith effort to renege on the deal.
Musk’s lawyers argued that “it would be an ‘extraordinary achievement’ to try a complex failed deal even within five to six months” and said that “holding the trial in February 2023 would balance the interests of the parties and the Court “.
Twitter wanted a hearing within about 60 days.
Twitter declined to comment on the matter. Musk did not respond to a request for comment.
WATCHING: Twitter accuses Musk of driving down the stock price