has arrived in the Nintendo Switch Online service, which is the first time the game has appeared on the Nintendo console in more than 20 years. The classic platformer has many collectible items to chase, but there are a few secret items that are not revealed until you complete the adventure: the ice key and the mysterious eggs.
Although these items are secret in the game, they can actually be obtained through special passwords that must be entered into the sand castle of Treasure Trove Cove. If you are interested in getting them, here’s how to get the ice key and the mysterious eggs in Banjo-Kazooie. Spoilers I follow.
What are the ice key and the mysterious eggs?
The ice key and the mysterious eggs are exactly what their names say. The first is a giant key made of ice, while the second are mysterious large eggs decorated with a question mark.
Of the secret items, Ice Key is the only one clearly visible in the game, but it’s sealed behind an impenetrable ice wall in Freezeezy Peak, so players can’t get it through normal play. The mysterious eggs are revealed only through the secret end of Banjo-Kazooie, which is triggered by the collection of all 100 Jiggies in the game.
What are they doing?
In short: nothing! The Ice Key and the Mysterious Eggs were planned to be transferred to the Banjo-Kazooie sequel, Banjo-Tooie, through a transfer process called Stop ‘N Swop. However, the feature was eventually removed, and Ice Key and Mystery Eggs were included as collectibles in Banjo-Tooie, making those in Banjo-Kazooie useless. However, it is possible to hold on to objects just because you are thinking about what it might be.
How do you get them?
As mentioned, you can unlock Ice Key and Mystery Eggs by entering special codes on the sandcastle floor in Treasure Trove Cove once you get Jiggy in it. These codes were originally shared on the Nintendo website in the early 2000s and still work in the Banjo-Kazooie version of the NSO.
You can enter the codes using the move of Kazooie’s Beak Buster on the correct tiles with letters on the floor of the sand castle. However, before you start, you must first write the word “FRAUD”. You will hear a cow move after each letter you enter, which means you are doing it correctly. After typing “CHEAT”, enter one of the following codes. This time your inputs will not be accompanied by sound, so you will need to make sure you write the long codes correctly:
- THE DESERT DOOR OPENS WIDE ANCIENT SECRETS WAIT INSIDE – Opens the locked door in the Gobi Valley
- OUTSIDE THE SEA REVEALS TO REVEAL SECRET PRIZES – Raises Sharkfood Island in Treasure Trove Cove Bay
- NOW YOU CAN SEE A NICE ICE KEY YOU CAN HAVE FOR FREE – Removes the wall blocking Ice Key in Freezeezy Peak
- AMONG THE SEPARATE DARKNESS SECRET IN THE BATHROOM – Unlocks a mysterious egg in the Mad Monster Mansion
- DON’T COME AND TELL HER THE SECRET IN HER CELLAR – Reveals mysterious eggs behind one of the sealed wine caskets at Mad Monster Mansion
- THIS SECRET WILL BE BUILT INTO THE CAPTAIN’S CABIN – Unlocks a mysterious egg in Rusty Bucket Bay
- NOW BANJO WILL BE ABLE TO SEE HIM AT THE NABNUTS TABLE – Unlocks a mysterious egg in Click Clock Wood
After entering the code, you will see a short cut scene revealing the secret objects and all that remains to be done is to go to the appropriate levels and collect them.
Banjo-Kazooie is available on the Switch via the Nintendo 64 – Nintendo Switch Online application, which is included as part of the Nintendo Switch Online Plus Expansion Pack. More classic N64 games are on the way to the app in the coming months, inclusivein February.